This is the time of year I find my list of stuff to do nearly triples; just looking at it is exhausting. I tell myself I can’t possibly find the strength to complete all these high priority items and in the back of my mind, I can hear myself starting to complain. That’s when the Holy Spirit always steps in. I’m very sensitive to Him when I start to gripe and this time was no different. His question to me is this; who are you holding up to such seemingly impossible standards? Is it God, or could it quite possibly be yourself?
Consider our blog’s theme verse, “The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run into it and are safe.“(Proverbs 18:10) His NAME should be on our lips at the start of the day, and just as importantly, at the end of the day to strengthen us through the onslaught of daily obligations.
I pray the following articles help to encourage and lift you up as you start checking off that task list! The material is also available to look up below in the Works Cited list. If there is a Name on this list that stands out for you and you’d like to share it with me, send me a note in the comments section.
50 Names and Titles of Jesus: Who the Bible Says Christ Is
The Bible is filled with many references to who Jesus is, His life, His Lordship, and what He came to do. Here’s just some of those names, titles, and verses from God’s Word.
As we read through, we can’t help but give Him thanks and praise, Our Savior and Lord who sets us free…
50 Names and Titles of Jesus
- Almighty One – “…who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.” Rev. 1:8
- Alpha and Omega – “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.” Rev. 22:13
- Advocate – “My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father–Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.” 1 John 2:1
- Author and Perfecter of Our Faith – “Fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” Heb. 12:2
- Authority – “Jesus said, ‘All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.” Matt. 28:18
- Bread of Life – “Then Jesus declared, ‘I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.’” John 6:35
- Beloved Son of God – “And behold, a voice from heaven said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.” Matt. 3:17
- Bridegroom – “And Jesus said to them, “Can the wedding guests mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them? The days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast.” Matt. 9:15
- Chief Cornerstone – “The stone which the builders rejected has become the chief corner stone.” Ps. 118:22
- Deliverer – “And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come.” 1 Thess.1:10
- Faithful and True – “I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and wages war.” Rev.19:11
- Good Shepherd – “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.” John 10:11
- Great High Priest – “Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession.” Heb. 4:14
- Head of the Church – “And he put all things under his feet and gave him as head over all things to the church.” Eph. 1:22
- Holy Servant – “…and grant that Your bond-servants may speak Your word with all confidence, while You extend Your hand to heal, and signs and wonders take place through the name of Your holy servant Jesus.” Acts 4:29-30
- I Am – “Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.” John 8:58
- Immanuel – “…She will give birth to a son and will call him Immanuel, which means ‘God with us.’” Is. 7:14
- Indescribable Gift – “Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift.” 2 Cor. 9:15
- Judge – “…he is the one whom God appointed as judge of the living and the dead.” Acts 10:42
- King of Kings – “These will wage war against the Lamb, and the Lamb will overcome them, because He is Lord of lords and King of kings, and those who are with Him are the called and chosen and faithful.” Rev. 17:14
- Lamb of God – “The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!” John 1:29
- Light of the World – “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12
- Lion of the Tribe of Judah – “Weep no more; behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has conquered, so that he can open the scroll and its seven seals.” Rev. 5:5
- Lord of All – “For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” Phil. 2:9-11
- Mediator – “For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.” 1 Tim. 2:5
- Messiah – “We have found the Messiah” (that is, the Christ).” John 1:41
- Mighty One – “Then you will know that I, the Lord, am your Savior, your Redeemer, the Mighty One of Jacob.” Is. 60:16
- One Who Sets Free – “So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.” John 8:36
- Our Hope – “…Christ Jesus our hope.” 1 Tim. 1:1
- Peace – “For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility,” Eph. 2:14
- Prophet – “And Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor, except in his hometown and among his relatives and in his own household.” Mark 6:4
- Redeemer – “And as for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last He will take His stand on the earth.” Job 19:25
- Risen Lord – “…that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures.” 1 Cor. 15:3-4
- Rock – “For they drank from the spiritual Rock that followed them, and the Rock was Christ.” 1 Cor. 10:4
- Sacrifice for Our Sins – “This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.” 1 John 4:10
- Savior – “For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.” Luke 2:11
- Son of Man – “For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.” Luke 19:10
- Son of the Most High – “He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David.” Luke 1:32
- Supreme Creator Over All – “By Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities– all things have been created through Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.…” 1 Cor. 1:16-17
- Resurrection and the Life – “Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die.” John 11:25
- The Door – “I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture.” John 10:9
- The Way – “Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” John 14:6
- The Word – “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” John 1:1
- True Vine – “I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser.” John 15:1
- Truth – “And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” John 8:32
- Victorious One – “To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne.” Rev. 3:21
- through 50.: Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace – “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” Is. 9:6
All this…and so much more.
He alone is worthy.
Help us to focus on the greatest gift of all this season, and the whole year through. Thank you for sending your one and only Son, that we might be saved through Him.
In the powerful Name of Jesus,
You Shall Call His Name Jesus (Matthew 1:21)
When a person is dear, everything connected with him becomes dear for his sake. Thus, so precious is the person of the Lord Jesus in the estimation of all true believers that everything about Him they consider to be inestimable beyond all price. “Your robes are all fragrant with myrrh and aloes and cassia,” said David, as if the very vestments of the Savior were so sweetened by His person that he could not but love them. It is certain that there is not a spot where His hallowed foot has trod, there is not a word that His blessed lips have uttered, nor a thought that His loving Word has revealed that is not precious to us beyond all price.
And this is true of the names of Christ–they are all sweet in the believer’s ear. Whether He is called the Husband of the church, her Bridegroom, her Friend; whether He is referred to as the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world–the King, the Prophet, or the Priest–every title of our Master–Shiloh, Emmanuel, Wonderful, the Mighty Counselor–every name is like the honeycomb dropping with honey, and luscious are the drops that distill from it.
But if there is one name sweeter than another in the believer’s ear, it is the name Jesus. Jesus! It is the name that moves the harps of heaven to melody. Jesus! The life of all our joys. If there is one name more charming, more precious than another, it is this name. It is the melody of our psalms. Many of our hymns begin with it, and scarcely any, that are good for anything, end without it. It is the sum total of all delights. It is the music with which the bells of heaven ring, a song in a word, an ocean for comprehension, a matchless oratorio in two syllables, a gathering up of the hallelujahs of eternity in five letters.
Jesus, I love Thy charming name,
‘Tis music to my ear.
1) Psalm 45:8
(Family Bible Reading Plan, Genesis 41 & Mark 11)
McDaniel, Debbie. “50 Names and Titles of Jesus: Who the Bible Says Christ Is.” Crosswalk.com, Salem Web Network, 1 Dec. 2016, http://www.crosswalk.com/blogs/debbie-mcdaniel/50-names-of-jesus-who-the-bible-says-christ-is.html.
“Family Bible Reading Plan Genesis 41 Mark 1.” Www.cross-Trainer.com/Family, http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjcitiW-JDfAhXRjFkKHfxOAfUQFjAAegQIChAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cross-trainer.com%2FFamily%2520Bible%2520Reading%2520Plan.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2ItSbKX4GnkChyOcosCdix.
“names of jesus” – christmas tree available on CrossWalk.com
For General questions or comments, please click here
I would like to thank my fellow consultants for all their assistance in getting this blog published: Michelle Arrington, Hannah Hall, Ariel Mcgarry, Carol White, Tracy Yoder, and J.P.Wilhelm. Their encouragement and patience have been invaluable to me.